Matthew S. Winters
Associate Professor of Political Science
POLITICAL SCIENCE; Affiliated Faculty of Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Affiliated Faculty of Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies
Associate Professor of Center for African Studies
Affiliated Faculty of Center for Global Studies
- foreign aid; development; corruption; Indonesia; Brazil
- Winters, Matthew S., and Shyam Kulkarni. "The World Bank in the Post-Structural Adjustment Era." Handbook of Global Economic Governance: Players, Power and Paradigms. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Gould, John A., and Matthew S. Winters. "Petroleum Blues: The Political Economy of Resources and Conflict in Chad." High-Value Natural Resources and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding. New York: Earthscan / Routledge, 2012.
- Winters, Matthew S., Paul Testa, and Mark M. Fredrickson. "Using Field Experiments to Understand Information as an Antidote to Corruption." New Advances in Experimental Research on Corruption. Emerald Group, 2012.
- Dietrich, Simone, and Matthew S. Winters. "Foreign Aid and Government Legitimacy." Journal of Experimental Political Science (2015):
- Winters, Matthew S., and Matthew Cawvey. "Governance Obstacles to Geothermal Energy Development in Indonesia." Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs 34.1 (2015): 27-56.
- Winters, Matthew S., and Rebecca Weitz-Shapiro. "Political Corruption and Partisan Engagement: Evidence from Brazil." Journal of Politics in Latin America 7.1 (2015): 45-81.
- Winters, Matthew S., and Ashlea Rundlett. "The Challenges of Untangling the Relationship between Participation and Happiness." Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 26.1 (2015): 5-23.
- Winters, Matthew S., and Gina Martinez. "The Role of Governance in Determining Foreign Aid Flow Composition." World Development 66 (2015): 516-31.
- Winters, Matthew S., Abdul Gaffar Karim, and Berly Martawardaya. "Public Service Provision under Conditions of Insufficient Citizen Demand: Insights from the Urban Sanitation Sector in Indonesia." World Development 60 (2014): 31-42.
- "Targeting, Accountability and Capture in Development Projects." International Studies Quarterly (2014):
- Winters, Matthew S., and Rebecca Weitz-Shapiro. "Partisan Protesters and Non-Partisan Protests in Brazil." Journal of Politics in Latin America 6.1 (2014): 137-50.
- "Introduction: New Views on Foreign Aid." International Interactions (2013):
- Winters, Matthew S., and Rebecca Weitz-Shapiro. "Lacking Information or Condoning Corruption: When Do Voters Support Corrupt Politicians?" Comparative Politics 45.4 (2013): 418-36.
- "The Politics of Effective Foreign Aid." Annual Review of Political Science (2013):
- Winters, Matthew S. "The Obstacles to Foreign Aid Harmonization: Lessons from Decentralization Support in Indonesia." Studies in Comparative International Development 47.3 (2012): 316-41.
- Winters, Matthew S., and John A. Gould. "Betting on Oil: The World's Bank's Attempt to Promote Accountability in Chad." Global Governance 17.2 (2011): 229-246.
- Winters, Matthew S., and Rebecca Weitz-Shapiro. "The Link Between Voting and Life Satisfaction in Latin America." Latin American Politics and Society 53.4 (2011):
- "Accountability, Participation and Foreign Aid Effectiveness." International Studies Review (2010):
- "Choosing to Target: What Types of Countries Get Different Types of World Bank Projects." World Politics (2010):