Associate Professor of Political Science
Center for Global Studies
- Comparative politics, political economy, formal political theory
- Ph.D. University of Chicago, 2006
- The Politics of Authoritarian Rule. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- "Contracting on Violence: Moral Hazard in Authoritarian Repression and Military Intervention in Politics." Journal of Conflict Resolution (2013):
- "Incentives, Institutions, and the Challenges to Research on Authoritarian Politics." APSA Comparative Democratization Newsletter 11.2 (2013):
- "Learning to Love Democracy: Electoral Accountability, Government Performance, and the Consolidation of Democracy." American Journal of Political Science (2013):
- Boix, Carles , and Milan Svolik. "The Foundations of Limited Authoritarian Government: Institutions and Power-sharing in Dictatorships." Journal of Politics (2013):
- "Moral Hazard in Authoritarian Repression and the Fate of Dictators." Political Economist (2011):
- "Power-sharing and Leadership Dynamics in Authoritarian Regimes." American Journal of Political Science 53.2 (2009): 477-494.
- Svolik, Milan W. "Authoritarian Reversals and Democratic Consolidation." American Political Science Review 102.2 (2008): 153-168.
- "Lies, Defection, and the Pattern of International Cooperation." American Journal of Political Science 50.4 (2006): 909-25.